Monday, November 26, 2012

We can "remember" any day of the year

I remembered that I wanted to blog about something I saw on September 21st.  Michelle, Stacy, Sandra and I were had just arrived back to YYC after our Vegas trip, and two husbands showed up to pick us up and we were all chatting about our trip.  Behind us tho was a scene I will never forget.

We heard the gasps and the crying first, as we turned around we could see the most beautiful sight that can be seen. I've seen it on youtube and sobbed along countless times, but it was happening right here, in front of me... a soldier coming home and seeing his baby for the first time.

The tears flowed from his eyes as he grabbed his baby and hugged and kissed it (sorry, don't know if it was a boy or a girl), all while staring at his crying bride.  Mom was on hand crying and recording everything.  He held his baby and then his wife, all of them crying.  Then went over to his mom and hugged her while they sobbed.  I don't know where came from or for how long he was gone, but from what I could see far and for too long.

I turned back to our group and all of us were moved and tears were in our eyes and we felt as tho we had just been touched by a rare moment, one that can never leave our minds.

Now, lets flash forward to Nov 11, 2012.  Kids these days just don't even get why we remember. I will take on blame for that one. I haven't taken my kids to a memorial service for them to really see first hand what its about. But I also wonder, would they care? They watch "lame" videos at school about something that happened a long time ago. I try to explain that we must understand history in order not to repeat it, but it falls on deaf ears.  With so much time passed, the meaning is getting lost.  We took the time to explain to our teens what to remember means. How we must always be grateful that so many gave their lives so we could live in the wonderful, but cold, country we live in.  

So today, and for those who read this, know we can be thankful and remember everything that our soldiers in the past, present and future sacrifice for us today and everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment