Friday, September 2, 2011

We will walk for Quinn.

Our Walk for Autism is in one week.  We are doing great on donations, our costumes are almost ready (thanks to Jesse!), and we are excited!

School started this week and I have had a lot of anxiety over Quinn starting at a new school and starting over with friendships.  But he seems to be doing well, so I am beginning to feel relieved.  I just hope the first 2 days reflect on what the rest of the year will be like.  I am not holding my breath on that one.

Some really great stuff has happened for Quinn.  We got in touch with FSCD (Family Services and Child Development) and they approved our application.  As we sat with our social worker and she was telling us what will happen now, I cried.   She advised us that we were eligible for Respite Care. I didn't even know what that was but I was happy!  She explained that when we have someone watch Quinn we can pay them an hourly wage, that person just has to be over 18 and not an immediate family member.  If that someone takes him to the zoo or anywhere Quinn can engage in social situations with other children, then that is considered Community Aide and we can pay that person $18.00 hour.  We send in the bill to FSCD and they deposit it into our account!  Then if Andrew, Hilary and I want a break from Quinn we can have a weekend away and FSCD will pay for someone to watch Quinn for the 48 hours, or they will pay an approved Nanny service.

That alone was HUGE.  We were floored. We explained how we didn't get into any day camps that would work for Quinn, and she said that they would cover that too should we find a camp for Autistic kids.

Then she went on to say that we should apply with LDAA (Learning Disability Association of Alberta) to get Quinn enrolled in social training classes and also for their day camps.  Which, we did. He starts Social classes on September 24. These classes cost $525, they will direct bill FSCD.  WOW right?!  They have summer camps but they were full for this year, but next year for sure. They even have residential camps where he will go overnight for a whole week at a time.

We were referred to PACE Kids where they will direct bill FSCD for Occupation Therapy and Speech Therapy.  We are currently on their wait list and hope to hear from them soon.

Lastly, we were referred to a therapy group called Triple P.  They will come in our home and help our family deal with Quinn's Aspergers, plus provide us with support for discipline/challenges with Quinn.

Our social worker was amazing and understanding.  She advised us that 120 kids out of her 140 kid workload are receiving the Federal Disability Tax Credit and that we should be too. I told her how our last doctor wouldn't sign off on it.  She told us that was BS and to shop around if need be to have a DR fill it out.  We have given it to our DR to fill out and he said he would, so we are just waiting for him to do so.

When she left, I cried. I was floored that so much help was available and it took us 3 years to get it.  A friend at work, Leah, was the one who told me about FSCD and pushed me to call them. I didn't, for weeks. When she was on her last day of work before Maternity Leave she asked me to call so she could move on, as she asked me everyday if I had called them.  So, with her pushing me, I did. Best thing ever.  I owe her so much!

We met with our social worker on July 15th. I won't forget that day!

I am happy to do our walk for Autism Awareness and for Quinn.  We have had tremendous support from friends.  Today I was on the walknowforautism.ca website and saw a video that someone posted from the walk last year and I totally cried. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with Quinn's Aspergers.  Sometimes its no big deal, he's just Quinn.  I belong to a Facebook group for parents of children with Aspergers and it makes me feel better.  That its not just my Aspie who won't ride a bike, take a shower, tells bad jokes, has anxiety, thinks they are smarter than a snake, will only eat 4 food items, and only talks about Pokemon. I feel better about my Aspie.  I forget that he has Aspergers and when people ask me "is it hard?", I say "No" or "I don't know, its all we've known".  He is just Quinn to me.

The saying goes, "if you've met one person with Aspergers, then, you have only met one person with Aspergers"

On September 11th, our family, The Aspie Avengers, will walk for Quinn.

3 comments:

  1. You need to give yourself credit for all you have to deal with. It may be a situation of "He is just Quinn" to you, but that comes with extra stuff to work through. There are a lot of people who couldn't have done what you've done. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is just Quinn, and he is perfect. But as Crystal said you've got to give yourself credit. Fact is, those of us who don't have Aspie kids have a lot easier time than you do. I lose my patience with my girls quite often and I'm not dealing with 4 food choices, tactile sensitivities and more. You and Andrew are great parents, and Hilary is a wonderful sister. Quinn is a lucky guy to have you all, and as you know, you are lucky to have him. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete