Monday, March 14, 2011

No one is poor, in this country.

So, today is my Friday. I have Tues/Wed off so they're my weekend.  Today was busy day at work, which makes for a long day when its your Friday.  I am tired and with the time change, I was dragging my ass all day.

I am still recovering financially from taking those almost 2 weeks off to recover from the flu/concussion. I got paid and it was more than expected, so yay!  But still trying to do dinner on a budget with food everyone will like. Not easy!   So, I said to Andrew can we just order a pizza, and keep it under $30.  I would spend 30 at the grocery store, of course, it would be semi more healthy, but I wanted something quick and ready for when I got home.  So he did, he got us pizza, and to save money, I picked it up.

I got the pizza place and an interesting dialogue occured and I can't stop thinking about it!!

I said "I am here to pick up an order for McKay"
and there is this guy who owns the place fixing the door and he says "Dr. McKay?"
I said "I wish!"
he asked "why?"
I said "Duh, I would be rich!"
he said to me "you are rich!"
I said "pshaw, no..I am seriously not. I am poor!"
he said "how are you poor?
I said "I guess I am not poor, just in debt"
he said "You have home? car? job? pizza?"
I said "Well, ya and all this costs money and I don't have much of it"
he said "No one, in this country, is poor"
I looked at him and I said "perspective"
he nodded "This country, you have homes, jobs, money, schools, healthcare, welfare, no one is poor"
I said "All very true"

I took my pizza and ran. I hate talks like that. But all the way home, I thought. Perspective. I have a big house in a great neighbourhood. Hubby and I have our own cars.  We both have jobs. Our kids go to a charter school. We are always able to feed our children. Our children are healthy.  If we didn't have all that. There are social programs out there to help us. We do have assets to liquidate if necessary. I then thought of where he might of come from, maybe for him, he was poor. But here, he has a business, healthcare, safety, homes, etc.  We are very lucky in Canada.

Currently, my expenses are higher than our income. Currently, I am in financial strain, and have to choose very wisely how I spend those two pennies I am rubbing together. Currently, I am broke. Andrew dropping his six figure salary and taking a huge paycut, then using our life savings to start his company hurt us.  Me, leaving my position at Meyers Norris Penny and losing half of my salary for my dream job, hurt us.  But at the end the day, we are happy.

We will get over our financial doom, and one day be OK, because, we are not poor.

I just ate 5 one bite brownies and thinking of more. I have stopped  biting my nails.  I am loving that they are growing slowly.  That is all.

2 comments:

  1. Mom worked with poor people, and once she took us kids to see them. I've never said "I'm poor" since then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacob and I were talking about that. The fact that we have the option to spend our time online (from our house!) and can get food at anytime that we want it and own a car, etc. means that we are not even close to poor when you think about the whole world.

    ReplyDelete