Monday, February 21, 2011

Dawson's Creek

OK, since I am on "rest", I watched a lot of Dawson's Creek last night with Hilary.

As I put in disc 1 of Season 6, the final season, I did so with mixed feelings.  Excited to see where the season will go and sad to know its the end of the series.  My 14 yr old daughter and I have bonded while we watched this series.  They really covered a lot in this show.

The first season tackled, a marital affair, unwed mixed racial couple having a baby (that in itself was two huge components for its time) drinking, being gay, cheating, etc.  Throughout its run, the characters experienced so much, death, weddings, pregnancy scares, school failures, physical abuse, depression, sex, drugs, mugging, parental abandonment, drinking problems, friends in university while others starting real life right away and so much more.

Watching it with my teen, bridged so many gaps as lessons were learned by her favourite characters that echoed her own life issues.  Did it solve all our problems? No, but I think it was cool for her see that her problems are timeless and have always been around.

There were a few things we made fun of. It seemed while the gang lived in Capeside, none of them had bras.  It was horrible!!! Pointy little titties constantly bouncing! Also, poor Joey Potter, no pants long enough!

Pacey, Jenn and Jack were our early favourites, and we didn't like Joey or Dawson.  But as the seasons passed, they cemented our favourites and our fondness grew for Joey and Dawson.  We like older Dawson, mainly because of his hair and clothes.  The addition of Audrey was fantastic and the subtraction of Andie was desired.

I loved Pacey and Joey together. So sad when they broke up. I get excited when I see Dawson and Joey starting a relationship as I feel like "FINALLY!!".  But every time they fail, I think "NOW PACEY!".  Although, I was excited when Pacey and Audrey hooked up, I noticed when they fought in Season 5 when they were on Spring Break and again when Pacey appeared to be cheating, there was no passion.  When I think back to Pacey and Joey fighting, it broke my heart, cos you could see it on their faces that their hearts were breaking too.

We will finish the final season of Dawson's Creek this week and that makes me sad. What series shall we watch next?

No comments:

Post a Comment