Monday, April 25, 2011

Hang in there!

What spawned this title was a moment I had today while driving home.  The sun was shining, I had just finished a call home letting Andrew know I was close to home and I had this...happy feeling.

Here was driving, not something I did until my 30's.  In a car I own.  Headed up a hill to a nice community to my husband and my family.  WOW.  When did this happen? 1999 and onwards I suppose.

I then thought about how I felt when I first moved to Calgary.  Scared, 22 years old, single mom of a 17 month old and so very poor.  It was stressful moving here, but I had the support of my best friend from grade 7 and her family to support me.  They took me and Hilary in and provided us with love, food, a roof and encouragement.  When I moved out of their house, I took all that with me, plus household supplies. I never could of made it without them.

I struggled as the year went by out here, I wanted to go home every month. I kept making the plan to buy a ticket with my final paycheque and leave everything and all bills behind and run home to my mommy.  I held strong as I wanted so badly to make it to one year in Calgary by myself, July 7, 1998 would be the day I could move home.   During that summer, I met Andrew online and we went on our first date on July 7, 1998. I then forgot I wanted to go home to my mom.  He made me feel like an adult and became my new support system.  He became everything I was missing in my life.  With Hilary and Andrew, not to mention my career, I was complete!

After dating for 10 months, I got pregnant with Quinn.  I knew Andrew was the "the one" and we got married. Fast forward 11 years, Hilary is now 15 yrs old and has a life and job of her own.  Quinn is 11 yrs old, has Aspergers and ADHD, but does pretty good.  I am driving home from work on a sunny spring day realizing how far I have come.

I wish I could have my 22 yr old self come to the future and see what we have accomplished.  We struggle financially from time to time, but that is because we can't manage our money and love instant gratification, but overall, life is GOOD!  I am just so blessed!

Dear 22 yr old self,

I know it seems hard right now, and you are scared that you are making the wrong decisions, but you aren't.  Stay strong, and you will be rewarded with the life of your dreams.  By the way, put away the nachos and start walking everyday....oh, and buy some Microsoft stock.

Love your 36 yr old self.
ps. you are awesomesauce! You have a job at WestJet, how cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment