Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Shut up and turn your phone off!!

Here is a great follow up to the last blog. I complained about ticket prices for the movies. Now its time to complain about those who pay those prices and then ruin the experience for everyone else!

Wait, I am that person! I am guilty of being a chatty cathy during a movie. I try soooo hard to keep it between me and my companion, but when I laugh, its loud!!! Going forth, I will try to be far more quiet as I don't want to be that jerkface that ruins YOUR experience.  In fact, I will just shut up!

Here are the etiquettes for movie going:

Get there on time. This leads to many areas.  Getting there on time means, ample time to go to the washroom,  get snacks, and find a seat.  When you are late, for whatever the reasons, please decide on a different movie or time slot to ensure you won't be disruptive to those who did ensure a timely arrival.

It continues to amaze me how people show up when the previews are on, and then head up to the prime seats looking for them to be available!  First come, first serve. You were last, go sit in the rubber necker seats. Enjoy your movie!

Once you have obtained a seat, it would be great if you had already gone to the washroom and got your snacks.  Now, if the lights haven't dimmed yet, then it doesn't matter. But once those lights have dimmed, please don't get up 3 times.  You block the view and annoy everyone you go past as we have settled in and put our bags on the floor, bags of popcorn sit there so we don't eat it all at once.

What happens during previews is a grey area to me.  I personally, enjoy the previews and hate to be disrupted during them.  I love that my introduction to a new movie coming out is seen at its best, on a big screen with optimal sound.  However, I can't really get mad if you use this time to jump up to get snacks or go to the washroom if that means you won't during the movie.

Once the movie has started, I am in a new state of mind. I am being taken away to a fantasy world, where I can escape.  I don't repeatedly pull out my cell phone, lighting up my area. I know this can ruin this for the people behind or beside me when suddenly a white light appears.  Now imagine that several times!  People actually talk and text on their phones during a movie. I can't even imagine doing that. Turn your phone off!

The talking. I have stated I am guilty of this. I promise to make an effort to not talk during the film.  As is, I try to keep it low, movie related and not that frequent.  But just because I do this, doesn't mean you should! If I was ever to be shushed, I would respect that!

Please do not bring your kids to a 9pm show that isn't a family movie. What are you thinking? It drives me nuts when I see parents bring their 2 yr old to a very inappropriate movie.  If it isn't rated G, why is any kid under 10 yrs old at that movie? Theaters really need to enforce their Ratings and who they let in.

I know I shouldn't have high standards for a public event. Having expectations opens you up for disappointment, but I can't just give up on society.

See you at the movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment