Friday, April 1, 2011

My son has Aspergers and it makes me sad.

So, tomorrow is World Autism Awareness Day.  My son Quinn has Aspergers, a spectrum of Autism. He also has ADHD.  There is an app on facebook where you can post a blue light. As the logo goes, Light it up Blue.  Andrew and I asked several of our friends who know Quinn to post that badge and wear blue tomorrow to support Autism.  As I seen in my feed the badges being posted, it brought a tear to my eye.  To see that people we love and care about, show us the same. To show, that it matters to them also just overwhelmed me.  My son has Aspergers and sometimes it just makes me cry.

It took me a long time to feel anything about it. When we found out, it was like a switch went off! We were like "Aha!".  Too bad it took until he was 8 years old to figure that one out.  Life has been "easier" since we found out.  I don't mean its easy for him or us, just that now, we know why.

As soon as we found out why, everything came together. Why he shuts down. Why he doesn't remember things. Why being in a large group is a problem.  Why music makes him freak out.  Why we can't have any food scrapings in the sink.  Why he gets upset when styrofoam rubs together.  Why he invades personal space.  Why he doesn't understand my angry face. Why he doesn't eat when we travel.  WHY WHY WHY. Because, he has Aspergers.

Most of the time, it is like he is normal.  Then, we get the call from the school about "incidents".  Where, he shuts down or uses violence to deal with a situation.  He is not like that child on the show "Parenthood".  Quinn is a happy go lucky kid.  Very social and loves to play with other kids.  Like most Aspies, he is into anything that evolves. I know way too much about Pokemon.

His friends in grade 6 right now are into grooming and how they look.  They text and like girls. Quinn, is equivelant to a kid in grade 4.  He wants to play, talk about Bakugan, and imaginary play.  Next year is Jr. High.  We have decided to mainstream him into the public system from his Art School Charter as they aren't meeting our needs.  I am terrified and worry about next year.  If it doesn't go well, it was my decision to mainstream him.  When, I think about how he will get teased and possibly bullied, it makes me cry.

I want him to be ok. I know in the end he will be. I have read countless stories of Aspies who have it all. I have read blogs by grown Aspies.  These all give me hope.

Tomorrow I will wear blue to support Autism Awareness Day. I hope you will too.  Thank you to so many of you who support me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment